Thursday, May 27

Touristy

D and I have almost lived at our current location for a year yet we haven't really checked out what there is "to do." We don't want to be transferred to a new station and regret not touring some of the sites that we pass everyday. First spot up: the Astoria Column. So, here's a little background:

"The Astoria Column has served for over 80 years as a beacon on the Pacific Northwest Coast. It sits in a wooded area 600 feet above sea level on Coxcomb Hill, Astoria, Oregon’s highest point. Majestic views of the countryside surrounding Astoria are the great Pacific Ocean to the west and the mighty Columbia River to the north. Snow-capped volcano, Mt. Rainier in the Cascade Range rises to the east and Saddle Mountain reaches to the sky on the southern horizon..."
 A COLUMN OF FACTS
  • Patterned after Trajan's Column, Rome, Italy
  • Constructed of: Concrete
  • Depth of foundation: 12 feet
  • Elevation, Coxcomb Hill: 600 feet
  • Height: 125 feet
  • Number of steps: 164
  • Number of cartoons: 12
  • Number of brown figures: 200
  • Length of artwork, unwound: 500+ feet
  • Decoration at top: State seal of Oregon
  • Completed in 1926
  • Dedicated July 22, 1926
  • Original cost: $27,133.96
  • Weather repair: 1936
  • Friends formed: 1988
  • Column restoration: $1 million 1995
  • Plaza restoration & lighting: $2 million 2004

 Detail of the art


In the process of building

This monument can be seen from basically anywhere in Astoria. Although, it doesn't look as big as when you're at the base of the column looking up. (And on top looking down.) 

When I was about 4 years old my parents brought my brother and I up to Astoria while we were in Oregon visiting family. Apparently I've walked up to the top of the column before. Unfortunately the only memory I can recall is me wearing a pink zip-up sweatshirt and looking up at the stairs. 

Once D and I arrived to the base of the column it slipped our minds that we should have considered the weather first. It poured rain and hailed on us, of course. The pictures we captured were sort of depressing at first but as you scroll through them you can really get an idea of how fast, and often, the weather can change here.  (We were at the column for 30 minutes tops)

View from base of column

D looking like he knows what he's talking about.

Before we came up to this hill I had no idea this river existed. (South of column) I'm guessing it's Young's River.

View of the stairs we climbed. I admit that I had to stop a few times to catch my breath.

Why I don't let D have the camera the whole time. Half of the pictures he takes turn out like this. 
(It was freeeeezing hence the double jacket action)

At the top of the column watching the rain pour over the Astoria bridge. (Looking north)

"Hey our car!" -D

Young's River (looking south)

The rain clouds are moving quickly. (Astoria)

Young's River- again.

"Let me show you where we live." -D

Astoria Column

I have no idea what D is trying to do here.

Sun peaking out over Astoria



D showing off for a German tourist couple.

"Quick! The camera is dying! Do something amazing!" -D

My favorite picture of the day! Land on the right is Washington. The land sitting on the horizon (right, center) is where our home is.

Looking at Washington from Oregon (Northeast)

Topped off our touristy day by treating ourselves to some Urban Cafe for lunch. D is a big fan of their strawberry lemonade. 


1 comment:

The Parkinson Family said...

I LOVE that picture of Washington! (above Devins head - amazing...)