I find it surreal, and odd at times, that I'm back in my parents house 9+ months pregnant with two dogs. Not only back in my parents house but back in my old room: my high school room that was converted to my niece's room that's now been reconverted to Wifey-and-Birdie's room. High school memories are tucked in between children's books, baby dolls, dog beds, a pack n play and swaddling blankets.
I have to get used to an idea in my head before I become comfortable with the real situation. I've been trying to- mentally- reconvert my new reality into ideas in my head to become comfortable and okay with them. Take, for example, the hospital. I was soooo excited to be delivering at the hospital in Seaside. They're child birthing views clicked with our own. My hospital in Clovis? Ehh... not too excited about. I really enjoy and click with my OB and midwife but the actual hospital was a major step down.
Then it hit me: all of the new situations and realities that I've been thrown into are merely a trade off. All of them, for the most part, have been for the better:
- Instead of staying in a really nice hospital room for 24 hours I get to mother Birdie in an extremely nice home AND room. (My parents have gone out of their way to accommodate us, and have rushed some home improvements, too. Hello, new closets, tv and hardwood floors!)
- Instead of navigating motherhood alone I get to be surrounded by more support than I could ever ask for.
- Heat and sun instead of rain and cold... enough said!
- Nana, Papa, Grammy and Grandpa will be able to see and experience Birdie in her infancy. They would not of had this opportunity before.
- My mom gets to experience my pregnancy and Birdie's birth at the cost of D being away. While not ideal at all, my mom didn't get to do this with her other two grand-babies. D has selflessly sacrificed a very special day in order to set up our future. We also know that 4-ish months apart is nothing compared to what other military families have to experience.
So, the crib is still in a box, our things are in storage and we haven't had a chance as a couple to experience nesting. I keep reminding myself that our next move will more than provide all of that. For now I'm pretty content with what I have been able to do and the with the generosity that my parents (and in-law's, too!) have been providing.
Without further ado here's Birdie's first little nest:
Rocking chair and swing
Newborn & 0-3 month outfits
Odds and ends: books, rattles, wet bag, toiletry items, etc.
Lovelies, fancy socks and shoes, and larger sized cloth diapers
Diaper bag is packed and ready for the hospital. Video camera is ready, too.
Baby central: Cloth diapers and wipes, swaddlers, receiving blankets, onesies, sleepers and gowns, socks, extra sheets, changing pads and burp cloths.
Pack n play with changing table attachment next to my bed. My mom made that pink blanket when she was pregnant with me.
Cute sign that used to hang on my door when I was born. Birdie's name and birth year will be added onto the backside underneath mine.
My favorite thing to look at: Cloth diapers and fasteners on the left and wipes and diaper covers on the right. (With blue hippo that was mine as a baby)









No comments:
Post a Comment