Thursday, February 7

Life, Lately, From the Comforts of a Couch

After waiting forever and a day our stuff finally made it to us in Alabama. It was Christmas all over again as we watched our stuff being unloaded from the truck and opened boxes. We immediately set up our kitchen and living room after living in our master bedroom for a few weeks. The other half of Birdie's things arrives tomorrow. This mama FINALLY gets to set up her crib after all this time. I may not be able to sleep tonight from the excitement.

I was asked to be a leader for the young women in our church. While I'm so honored to accept this task it's also a little daunting. Having to learn everything while teaching lessons is a little stressful but I love it so far. The girls are amazing and it reminds me of when I was that age. (Just a few years ago, right?!) I've also made a few new friends that I can tell are going to be keepers. I love spending time with and learning more about them.

Our laptop bit the dust. Fortunately it's just an easy battery fix. Thank goodness for iPhones that allow us to get done what we need to do.

I'm not sure I will ever get used to Alabama's high sales tax, or the fact that they tax groceries. What the what? A good portion of my grocery budget goes straight to sales tax alone. We're also trying to adjust to not having a Costco. Major bummer.

We've been eating too many cupcakes and it really. Has. To. Stop. We've been taking advantage of the gym at D's base a lot lately. I'm the person that brings candy to the gym in my purse. Whoops. I can't help it... I crave sugar when I'm working out.

Birdie girl has cut her first tooth and her second one should be popping through the surface any day. Now that she's mastered rolling over from both sides she's been quite the show off. She loves to play with mama's spatulas, measuring cups and ice cream scoop. I've been building up a milk storage lately for D to feed her on nights when I'm teaching. I'm glad that she's finally learned to take a bottle so they can share that special feeding time.

D has started a fruit and veggie garden in our backyard. We're looking forward to eating all that he's planted. Speaking of our back yard- since only two sides are fenced we get a lot of doggie.... visitors. Our two, who alert me from their respective posts, want to play with and sniff these doggies. Usually I shoo them away. Today's visitor was a sweet coon hound who was at least 6 months old. (And ginormous!) Instead of shooing him away I played with him for a little before he wandered back home. (....and I might have named him Kevin...)

D's sister is getting married in Hawaii this fall. We're looking forward to a real family vacation. All of our extra pennies are being saved up for the flights 'cause it ain't cheap. Still sporting my pasty Oregon skin I need to work on a plan to gradually become tanner.

My pixie haircut is officially gone. I do miss it but I'm ready to have longer hair. I have enough to wear it half-up. I plan on adding some color to it in a couple months as, sadly, grey hair is creeping in faster than I'm willing to admit.

Sigh... The cupcakes are calling me...

No comments: