It's been a long, long time since I've posted anything pertaining to the Coast Guard. Well, despite the posts about where we live. The days of fretting if it would work out, the countdown until D left, and the anticipation of him coming home feels like so long ago.
We've been at our first station about 6 months and in that time D has been working hard to obtain his qualifications. It's also time that he's taken to think about what rate (job) he'd like to pursue. After lots of debating he's finally decided to pursue the AST route to become a rescue swimmer.
D had to pass a couple physicals to make sure he was fit to fly. As of late last month his name was officially added to the waiting list to attend the Airman program. Rescue swimming is the hardest job, not to mention the most physically demanding, within the Coast Guard so the Airman program is a way to weed through those who will not make it to rescue swimming A-school. D has been working on becoming boat crew qualified and the Airman program will make him flight crew qualified.
D is able to check the list once a month to check on his status. As of today he's number 88 out of 96. This makes his wait about 8 months. This means a move is in our future to a location near us. It could be as close as Astoria or somewhere within Washington or Oregon.
The Airman program is about 4 months long. If D successfully finishes it then he will move on to attend A-school in South Carolina. This is about 6 months long with EMT training in Petaluma tacked on at the end. I can't remember if I can go with D to South Carolina but I will most likely spend my time back in California, with family. I've already survived two loooong months of D being gone so I'm hoping I can do it again... plus another 4 months added on top.
If D completes A-school he will graduate as a rescue swimmer. Then it'll be time for a new station in a new location.
Check out the movie The Guardian if you'd like to see what rescue swimming entails. They actually have real Coast Guard people and snips of A-school in the movie. Plus, you'll get to see the Alaskan cave (at the end) that's located around the corner from our house.
Betcha didn't know that southern Washington is that close to Alaska.
---
If you're not a Kevin Costner or Ashton Kutcher fan you can read more about rescue swimming here.

No comments:
Post a Comment