Earlier this evening I was
Cue the pity party!
The next hour consisted of me preparing for the party, figuratively. I put up the decorations, filled the air with music, sprinkled the counter tops with finger foods and put on my best party dress. Then I waited for people to knock on the door even though I know people are not coming. Yet, I anxiously walk around the house asking myself what's taking people so long to arrive.
Then, somehow, I came upon more information about this friend's status update and I froze. Vaguely- there was no longer a reason for me to consumed by my pity. I ache for this person and hope I never have to deal with the same situation.
So. I turned off the party music. I carefully took down and packed away the decorations. The food was placed back in the fridge. I took off my party dress and threw it in the hamper. Finally, I turned off the porch light and locked the front door. The pity party was officially over.
While I'm enjoying a hot shower tonight I'll be reflecting upon the following words, that were spoken at the most recent Relief Society General Conference. I'm hoping that tomorrow's General Conference will give me more peace and comfort and that it will do the same for my aforementioned friend.
"...God is fully aware that you and I are not perfect... this drives us to create expectations for ourselves that are impossible to meet...everyone has strengths and weaknesses...it’s wonderful that you have strengths... and it is part of your mortal experience that you do have weaknesses... please remember also to be compassionate and patient with yourself..."
- Dieter F. Uchtdorf

No comments:
Post a Comment