Monday, July 23

Moving: It's What We Do

Literally.

I feel like it's ALL we do. Especially lately. Granted that last move was one of those thing life throws at you.

And here we are, two months post- last move, in the middle of packing up our house to place in storage for the remainder of the year. (For the record I just unpacked the last box from the last move about a week ago... *she says through gritted teeth*) Military orders are not something you can argue with so away we go into a whirlwind of boxes, closing up loose ends and figuring out logistics. 

With this move we have more control... which I thought I would enjoy more, but alas, it made things SO much harder. D's command, aware of my impending due date, presented us with a few options for D to go back to school: 

1. Report in early August
2. Report in October
3. Report in January

Option number 3 was automatically out for us. I would never want D and Birdie to bond and then rip them apart for months and months when she doesn't understand. Long story short- we decided to go with option number 1. For our family, it's better for us to move asap, get me (and pups) down to family in California, and have D take off and come back while Birdie is still little. D will most likely miss her birth as he reports a week before my official due date. (I don't know why is surprises me that he selflessly sacrificed missing her birth to make sure that she and I were well taken care of... but it does in a way. And makes me fall even more in love with him.)

While this whole situation is not fun for both of us we keep reminding ourselves that both of our families are getting an opportunity to be around Birdie in her very first moments, days, weeks, etc., that they previously would not have had. We're also reminding ourselves that there are many, many other military families that have dealt with this before, and most for longer periods of time.

Our next task is to figure out how to condense our stuff, dog stuff and baby stuff into our subie for the 12 hour drive. Did I mention I'll be pushing 38 weeks, too? True story. We will be saying adieu to Oregon and hello to sunny California by the end of this week!



No comments: