Tuesday, July 31

The One Before D Leaves

Preface: Well, we survived made the 14 hour drive down to California after spending the prior week packing and moving our stuff into storage. Because I started passing parts of my mucous plug we were able to obtain permission to leave a day early- just in case. It's nice to be back near family and friends and be surround by a good support system while D is away for the remainder of the year. My parents have been super-troopers by setting things up so that being a single mama will be a little easier. Our dogs have been enjoying the perks of a backyard and weather that allows more walks.
38 weeks!

Size of Baby: Birdie is approximately 19.75 inches long and weighs around 6.5-7lbs. Things are getting pretty tight in there as I feel nothing but elbows, knees, toes, and such being tossed around all day.
Total Weight Gain: As of last Monday I was still holding a 26lb total weight gain. Today I was weighed and lost 5 pounds. This is common in pregnancy as you get closer to delivery.
Continuing Symptoms: Nasal congestion has become a little worse now that we're in a different climate. I'm still uncomfortable most of the time but you just learn to deal with it. My hands and feet have become more swollen during the days, but I think it's been worse lately because of our climate change.
New Symptoms: Slight increase in mood swings and nausea.
Labor Symptoms: Braxton-Hicks contractions are still happening like crazy. Some are more noticeable while others I can only feel my stomach tighten. Birdie has dropped more and I feel a lot more pressure on my pubic bone than ever before. Some mornings, when I wake up, I feel like I have to physically carry my stomach. As of last Monday I am 1 cm dilated, 50% effaced and Birdie is at a -3 station. I also started losing parts of my mucous plug. I'm hoping there's been more progress since then. Birdie is still head down and facing my spine- exactly where she's supposed to be.
Maternity Clothes: I haven't purchased anything new. Now that I only have a couple weeks to go I'm feeling confident that I can finish this pregnancy with what I currently have. I'm mostly preferring workout-type clothes. Because Birdie has dropped so much the band in my maternity jeans constantly falls.
Sleep: Lately, I've been taking more cat naps during the day, lasting anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour long. Nights are still interrupted by potty breaks and position changes. Some nights involve some form of insomnia. Those nights are the most frustrating but I try to use it as practice for just relaxing.
What I'm Eating: Anything, really. Anything that makes me full. We've been eating a lot of mexican food and steak lately.
Cravings: Popsicles, cereal, and yogurt.
Special Pregnancy Moments: 
1. It doesn't FEEL too special but it was exciting to have my first internal exam last week. D and I were excited to hear that things started to progress.
2. Realizing that I started losing my mucous plug- not so pretty but still pretty exciting.
3. We toured the hospital where I'll be delivering. I feel more at-ease now that I'm clear on their policies. D and I are both happy that- since he'll most likely miss her birth- they will allow us to Skype during the whole stay.
4. Tomorrow I FINALLY get to nest! Can. Not. Wait. My parents are currently installing new hardwood floors in the bedrooms so once they're complete I can FINALLY unpack, FINALLY organize and FINALLY set up Birdie's stuff.

No comments: