When D and I went to Monterrey to celebrate our anniversary, I mentioned that we stumbled upon the CG station. Literally... stumbled upon it while waiting at a stop light. I also mentioned that we had a great opportunity to stay on base for almost 4 hours just getting our questions answered, advice, etc.
Well- let me really back up here... and apologies if this is repetitive. In some branches of service your job is chosen for you based upon a test that you take in your enlistment process. So you would know what your job is before you got to training. CG is not like that. You take the same test but are able to pursue any avenue you'd like within the CG, granted that your test score in that area qualifies. (So the better you do in all of the areas on the test the more you're eligible for)
There are three basic categories: airmen, seamen, and firemen. Within those are a ton of specific jobs to chose from. (Ie: res.cueswimming falls under the airmen program, law enforcement falls under seamen, etc)
Since D has a degree in crim.inology it's only natural to think that he'd want to pursue that route. During the past year rumors circulated that a new rate* was coming out- Mar.itime En.forcement... aka... cop on a boat. I naturally thought that D would gravitate towards that rate but figured he'd also look into some other options as well. Another contender was res.cueswimming. Personally, I had a feeling that he was only interested in this rate because he just wanted to jump out of a helicopter repeatedly.
Turns out I was right.
Fast forward to our weekend at Monterrey.
The CG guys talked about the pros and cons of each rating, without getting their own biases in the way. (Somewhat) A rate was mentioned that we had heard of but-apparently-didn't know anything about: Boats.wainmate**. (or BM) After talking about it I had a strong feeling that this was right up D's alley but I kept it to myself as I didn't want to pressure him into something he wasn't feeling. But, as we got in the car, D bubbled with excitement that he felt that BM was the way to go.
We did a ton of research on the rate when we got back home. D found out that once he was officially a BM that he could qualify for some certifications:
-Co.xswain: have the authority to direct the crew/activities and modify the mission they're on.
-Tac.tical co.xswain: the training to be able to maneuver a boat in a defensive situation
-Sur.fman: normally you get he.avy weather certified to drive the boat in waves up to certain size. Sur.fmans have the training to drive the boat in the highest waves. It's also the highest qualification for small boat operations.
After D finishes basic we'll be moved to our first station. For the next four months he'll be required to just work to experience different aspects of the CG life. This will give him hands on experience to "try on" different jobs before he commits to one. After the four months is up he can place his name on an @-School list to get specific training for that rate. @-Schools are all throughout the US and each are different in length. Sometimes spouses/ families are able to go with the coastie and sometimes you're not. (Depends on how long the school is, basically) Right now, the wait time for BM @-School is 2 years.
By the time D is able to put his name on the list the wait will most likely be longer. So- D is planning to "str.ike." Instead, he'll complete the required four month wait and training under another BM at his station to meet the necessary qualifications/ certifications/ tests while the other BM supervises. Basically- it's hands-on, on-site training with set guidelines he has to meet or else he doesn't pass. The "st.riking" process takes between 4-6 months to complete. Much faster than waiting around for an @-School that's only 12 weeks long!
That's the plan thus far...
*Rate= specific job.... same thing basically
**Boats.wainmate is pronounced: boats-in-mate
--
Tonight is D's last night home for a long time. We're going to dinner with my parents and then his parents will be arriving late tonight.
The last couple of days have been strange to me. It's almost as if I'm going through a grieving process: sad, anxious, perfectly fine, etc. and then BOOM... I'm mad. Not mad at D or anything in particular... just mad. D lets me sit (literally) in my anger and then talks me back to normal. I haven't cried yet but have teared up in front of him a few times. (Which then makes me mad) So it's been interesting around here.
Today- I'm more inclined to be grouchy about the heat, a newly developed cold, a semi-active Ping and extreme tiredness.
I'm glad that the week is over for me and look forward to spending time with D's family.
2 comments:
Not a minute in the day goes by that Im not wondering what Devin is doing. I have to say I am at peace when I know it is lights out for him. LOL. I sleep better knowing he is sleeping.
Hello! Just wanted to say hello.
My son, an active LDS member, is in X-Ray 181. I know EXACTLY how you feel about going through a grieving process. Though I am the mom and not the wife, missing someone and not being able to communicate is a long and hard road. I promise that the weeks go by very fast and before you know it - he will be preparing for graduation.
Best of luck to BOTH of you in this adventure!
Kelly
Post a Comment